Just Five Things, a list of simple actions that can enhance your publishing career. One tip for each day of the week related to every aspect of publishing from time management to marketing to writing.
1. Acknowledge your successes. It’s easy to focus on the negative so keep a gratitude journal or bulletin board where you can remind yourself of your achievements, accolades and progress.
2. Stop comparing yourself to others. Each person’s journey is different, but equally vital.
3. Just own it. Imposter syndrome sneaks in when we feel like we’re misrepresenting ourselves. Be honest about who you are and what you have to offer. No apologies, explanations or justification required.
4. Be prepared to fail, lose, make mistakes, look foolish, and not know all the answers. No one wakes up one day an instant expert. Every obstacle you overcome, each new lesson or skill you learn, each experience you open yourself up to adds to your worth.
5. Identify your imposter syndrome “hot buttons” (i.e. lack of experience or lack of education) and take action to improve in these areas.
See you next week for another list of Just Five Things.
If you have a tip to share or need help with a challenge, email me at email@example.com.